I don't have to tell you that vet visits can get pretty expensive. Over the years, because of my books and websites, I have become friends with several wonderful veterinarians.

As my friendship with them has developed, I have discovered that not all vets are the same. My vet friends have revealed some of the secrets that they don't want the average person to know about the business of veterinary medicine.

It seems that some vets are more motivated than money than their clients may assume. You see, when someone brings their dog or cat in for a visit (or an emergency procedure), the vet often has options on what they do.

Unfortunately, some vets take advantage of the situation and do things that are as much designed to make a profit as they are to help your pet.

This is just one of the ways you can be overcharged by your vet. There are some important questions you can ask to avoid the unnecessary procedures and charges. Every pet owner should know what to ask and be an INFORMED consumer.

That is why I am so happy that my friend, Dr. Andrew Jones who is a practicing vet in Canada put together a special report called The Top 10 Ways to Avoid Getting Overcharged By Your Vet.

Dr. Jones has given me permission to give you the report for free. Just download the PDF from the link below.

After you have downloaded and read the report, I hope you will post your thoughts here in this discussion forum.

I would love to hear your ideas about other ways to prevent getting overcharged at the vet.

Views: 4564

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sometimes I really think the more a Vet sees you love your animal and take good care of it..The more they tell you things you need or should have done. My vet keeps pushing to have our dogs teeth cleaned for $1,000! now he has vey few teeth left. and I refuse to put a dog 15 under for that. Its juts nuts.
Hi Karen,

I agree with you. If you read my posts, that is what happened to me.

Dental disease can lead to internal problems. That is true for people too. $1000 is outrageous. A dog with a full mouth of teeth costs much less. Maybe the vet is charging more because your dog is a very Senior dog. If you ever put your dog under for surgery or teeth cleaning, I suggest a blood test to determine that he can withstand being put under. This is true for any age especially seniors.

I suggest Bully Sticks or Iams Dental Chews to help your dog clean his own teeth. Iams dental chews are in many grocery stores with dog treats and I assume pet stores should have them too. I have the Bully Sticks on my website:
http://www.shopwhiteman.us/Pets.html
Please wait--rhis page is full and is a long download.
My dog doesn't like anything that has to be chewed so she won't chew her Bully Sticks. I would be happy to send them to you as a sample if you email me your address. Obviously you don't want to post your address and I don't want to post my email address so try: Andy931@irememberlove.com .

I suggest supervising you dog when they are chewing these things. Hank choked on a milk bone because he tried to swallow without chewing. After that I supervised him.
Thanks, Andy..We have tried the chews Rusty shows no intrest..He only has few teeth left i the back..He lost them form pulling on a cage before we adopted him...But he does well. east good..Again thanks.
Karin,
I forgot about this chain until I got an email about another post.

Sorry to hear that Rusty didn't like the chews. Red Dogg can chew if she wasnts to, but demands jerky strips. For a dog who has difficulty chewing, I suggest Ol'Roy Jerky treats at Walmart as a treat. Red Dogg enjoys them and they are under $6 for a big cannister of 24 oz. (I can break each one into 3 pieces and she doesn't know the difference. She thinks she is getting more!)

Too late now, but February was national Dental month and my vet gave 20% off teeth cleaning. I suggest you call other vets for a better price. Teeth cleaning should be under $200. It requires a blood test to see that anethesia is OK, putting the dog out, cleaning, and antibiotics to prevent infection.
An electric tooth brush works wonders on their teeth,My dog is 9 and i have never paid to have his teeth cleaned.
Good idea. Vets even sell regular tooth brushes! I bought a puppy tooth brush to reach the wisdom teeth in the back of my mouth.
I fortunately have a lovely vet who is well aware of the costs,he encourages every body to look at Pet Insurance and twice now both emergency cases with my poodle he only charged me for the medication and not the consultation fee,he regularly gives me discount as he knows i have three dogs and in one emergency he came to check Charlie on a Sunday morning and did not charge, after visiting him he rings a couple of days later to asked how things are,he is a true loving man of animals.In the one week we caught two beautiful domesticated birds in our yard,he went out of his way to find a bird loving person to take care of them,My house mate caught an injured magpie and took it to him...same thing got the right people to care for this bird. My poodle had a stroke three weeks ago the consultation went for 2 hours,he only charge $30. and has rang several times to make sure Charlie is ok.
You have a great vet! Some vets here in the US sell health plans for pets. You pay a yearly fee and get a certain number of visits at no charge and a discount on additional visits as well as a discount on the meds. I found at 2 vets, the staff forgoy to give the med discount unless I reminded them. At one vet, I was never charged for an office visit. It all depends on the vet.

RSS

The Inspiration

EverPup

EverPup: What James has bee

Dr Jones Ultimate Canine Health Formula

Dog Books from Maui Media

Subscribe to our Blog

Badge

Loading…

Published by

Maui Media, LLC

© 2010 Maui Media, LLC