From Time to Time From time to time, people tell me, "Lighten up, it's just a dog," or, "That's a lot of money for just a dog."

They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent or the cost involved for "just a dog." Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog." Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog," but I did not once feel slighted. Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a dog," and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a dog," then you will probably understand phrases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise." "Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust and pure unbridled joy. "Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience that makes me a better person.

Because of "just a dog" I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future. So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a dog" but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment. "Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand that it's not "just a dog" but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a person."

So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog," just smile, because they just don't understand."

- Anonymous

Views: 48

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No dog "is just a dog" I get angry when people say this too. Dogs have feelings and can love just like a person.. I have had people say this to me..When we had to relocated 12 years ago and had a hard time finding a apartment that would allow dogs. People said "hes just a dog" or give him up and get a new one when you are settled in! OH I was so mad! He is part of us and we love him we would never just drop him off and forget him..He has been through so much before we rescued him we could never do that...Well we did find a apartment that alowed dogs, but we had to pay a little more in the rent..It was well worth it...Rusty now has his own house and a big yard just for him..no its not "just s dog" people who say and think this have never loved a dog before.
This is a wonderful tribute to those dogs and their owners who totally understand the beauty of such relationships. My first beloved Gizmo (now at the Rainbow Bridge) gave me back my life when I would have otherwise sought death. My current sweet Chloe and Bubba bring me laughter and have opened up my heart further. Just a dog?... I think not!!

Thanks for sharing this wonderful writing. I will share it with others to both open up their eyes if they are blind or confirm what they too already know.
Thanks Janet! I really do not understand people with this frame of thought. They said the same thing when Rusty had eye cancer and we had to have his eye removed..."just put him down its only a dog" UGH! steam came out of my ears..Well we did have him treated and he is doing fine! 5 years ago. this was nad he has given us so much love.I relly don't think people who say this really never loved a pet before.
There's a los of 'just a dog' or 'just an animal? and other judgements, prejudices and misconceptions about dogs and other pets...I guess that when you are lucky enough..you are blessed with a four-legged angel...then you can experience and understand the meaning of love...let othere people talk...thay haven't been blessed yet.
Well said Vicky! I agree.
What an inspiring read. Thank you for putting my absolute love for animals (especially dogs) in prospective. And you are absolutely right on point~~those people just don't understand. How sad for them!
They have no clue what they are missing! when my mother in law visited (who is not a dog lover at all) Rusty jumped on her..She said "I'll put you in the basement! I said NO YOU WON'T! would you say that to a child? don't say it to my dog!
Yes i`d like to say to some people Just a pain in the you know what.
About 2 years ago now, i found my Charlie Brown laying on the ground fitting and frothing at the mouth.I got in the car and drove as fast as i could to the vet,Yes i was speeding,but i had my warning lights on and tooted my horn when approaching traffic to warn people i was in a hurry. Still to this day i remember the horror as a police man pulled me over,took me away from my car for 30 minutes and gave me the lecture of "it`s just a dog'" i was beside myself thinking i`ll get back to the car and my Charlie will be dead, because i was hysterical he accused me od drink driving or taken some drug,he was a smart ass when tests showed niether,as he let me go he said to me by the way i`m a dog lover.I wanted to kick him right where it hurt.He gave me a massive fine and a threat of loosing my license. I fought it in court with letters and references and to my horror once again the magistrate made that dreaded statement "It is just a dog". I still get sick in the stomach when i retell this story.
Boy do I hate it when peole say that. If we have been out for a whie and need to leavu because Rusty needs to be let out or I feel bad because its been a long day for him alone. people say "your nuts he's just a dog!" UGH! boy dose steam come out of my ears. Of course the same peole are not dog people. I love dogs so much!
Some people really do not know. I haven't had a dog in my life since before I was married. Due to our work schedules, my husband and I have had cats. I love ALL God's creatures. And, owning any animal is a commitment. Dogs love us unconditional and so do cats. They are our babies. They get us through depression, anxiety, broken relationships, work stresses. They give us a reason to get up in the morning when we are so low that we just don't want to get up and face the world. GOD BLESS THEM! People are just plain ignorant.
Cats or cool but dogs TOTALLY RULE!!
I KNOW! DOGS RULE!! HEHEHEHEHEHE I hope some day we can get a dog. I have always felt guilty about leaving a dog home alone all day. Cats really could care less if they are alone .. LOL Don't get me wrong, I love my little old lady. She is 17! But, someday I would love a dog. I am 61 and my husband is 68. When he retires and when my girl is no longer with us, we will get a little dog.

RSS

The Inspiration

EverPup

EverPup: What James has bee

Dr Jones Ultimate Canine Health Formula

Dog Books from Maui Media

Subscribe to our Blog

Badge

Loading…

Published by

Maui Media, LLC

© 2010 Maui Media, LLC