Just wondered how many out there feed raw to their dogs. I have my 6 dogs on the raw diet for almost 2 years now and it's great! Their coats are so nice and shiny, they are healthy and not overweight at all. I also bake their treats rather than buying the junk in the stores. There is so much garbage in dog food and treats these days and when that food recall happened, I was never so happy to have my dogs on raw.

Views: 425

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have had my dogs on raw since spring. I started my pup on it at four months. I tried her right from the start but she was not the best chewer so i waited her out a bit and then put her back on it. I do a prey raw diet changing my meats up. I only use ground meat / bone when I am away as my house sitter is intimidated by feeding bones! i started because my 3 year old needed his teeth cleaned AND he had had them done last year when he had a cyst removed from his tail. I didn't like that, even with a good quality kibble, he needed his teeth cleaned after just one year! After only 6 weeks on raw he no longer needed a cleaning! Now they all have the best coat ever and pearly whites too!
Hi all. Heavens!! I am BEYOND THRILLED to hear of so many of you feeding raw! I work in Mini Schnauzer rescue in GA and we have four of our own. One has itching issues and eats only raw rabbit. I wish you could see her at meal time and you would see what a dog LOVES to eat - raw, meaty bones!!! Nothing cooked in this household! And for those of you who are asking, it's as easy as going to the grocery, buying a pack of chicken legs or thighs, bringing it home, opening the package, taking off the skin (schnauzers are prone to pancreatitis from too much fat) and handing it to them...and getting out of the way! My four girls LOVE it all - beef, chicken, venison, rabbit, goat, a little pork occasionally, lamb...just about anything I can find they will gobble down. And they look and feel wonderful! Thanks, Steph, for starting this great blog where we can share and hopefully educate lots of people on the wonderful benefits of raw feeding!!!
Jennie
WOW, I am glad to be a part of this site. I didn`t know about raw feeding. Can I buy it straight from the butchers (any meat) and just give it to Diamond as is(w/o skins & fat)? I do give her raw chop meat sometimes & she loves it, but only a very little bit as a treat. I thought I had to make sure her people food was cooked. She usually has dry food.
Yeah, that is pretty much it. It looks like you have a little dog, so you might want to just cut up some pieces of meat to start. You don't have to cook it and you SHOULDN'T cook it if it has any bones in it. Once she has mastered the meat pieces, you could give her a small meat bone, like maybe a chicken neck and see how she does. Or you could grind up or smash up a chicken leg and give her smaller pieces bone and meat. The skin is fatty so you might want to pull that off. I buy Xena ground meat and bone, but that is just for my convenience. Good luck.
Susan
Thank for the info. I`m going to give it a try.
Just make sure you don't give a whole lot of organ meat. It's very rich and can cause diarrhea. Every now and then I buy chicken livers and cut up a few and put it in with their raw diet. Also, when I'm making burgers, I just throw them each a small meatball of raw hamburger. I never enjoyed watching my dogs eat like I do with the raw diet. The enjoy mealtime so much.
I was wondering if there is a special grinder to grind bones. I had a bit of a scare the last time I gave Harvey a beef bone. The next day, he was having a very hard time eliminating, to the point where I thought I would have to bring him into the vet. It was very obvious that there was a blockage, but it DID passed. Also, I'm a bit worried that if I feed backs and wings, he'll gobble them up without chewing them first. Has anyone experienced anything like that?
All my raw is ground up. The bones are ground into it so I don't have any worries about them swallowing a bone that may get stuck. My supplier uses a special grinder because it has to be strong enough to grind the bones. I tried the whole chicken legs and it was a disaster. With 6 dogs it was just not worth the mess and the fights although they sure loved it. The raw does tend to give them a dryer stool but what I do is give them a little bit of milk every now and then and it loosens the stool just a bit.
Thanks for all these tidbits of information. My gut feeling is to go this route, but I need to explore ALL the pros and cons. Thanks again
I never heard of this RAW. Also, can you share your baked treats receipe. I had one, but my computer crashed and I lost it.
I just found out about a new food called Fresh Pet Select and here's the website. www.FreshPetSelect.com They have a store locater on their website. Looks like a great food! I'll have to post my Liver Treats recipe another time...gotta run!
A recipe to share:

Peanut-Carob Biscotti

Ingredients
2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 pinches ground cinnamon
1 cup chunky peanut butter
1 cup milk
1 cup carob chips

Directions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Place the peanut butter in a medium bowl and microwave at high power to soften, 5 to 10 seconds. Whisk in the milk, then stir the mixture into the dry ingredients.

Shape the dough into a long, flattened log and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes; remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Slice the log crosswise on an angle into 1-inch--thick pieces. Set the slices on their sides (they should look like biscotti) and bake until crisp, 10 to 12 minutes more. Transfer to a rack to cool.

Melt the carob in a microwave or on the stovetop over low heat. Thin the melted carob with 1 tablespoon water, if needed. Using a spoon, drizzle the melted carob over the biscuits. Let cool completely. Store in an airtight container.

RSS

The Inspiration

EverPup

EverPup: What James has bee

Dr Jones Ultimate Canine Health Formula

Dog Books from Maui Media

Subscribe to our Blog

Badge

Loading…

Published by

Maui Media, LLC

© 2010 Maui Media, LLC