Just wondered how many out there feed raw to their dogs. I have my 6 dogs on the raw diet for almost 2 years now and it's great! Their coats are so nice and shiny, they are healthy and not overweight at all. I also bake their treats rather than buying the junk in the stores. There is so much garbage in dog food and treats these days and when that food recall happened, I was never so happy to have my dogs on raw.

Views: 416

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A recipe to share:

Peanut-Carob Biscotti

Ingredients
2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 pinches ground cinnamon
1 cup chunky peanut butter
1 cup milk
1 cup carob chips

Directions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Place the peanut butter in a medium bowl and microwave at high power to soften, 5 to 10 seconds. Whisk in the milk, then stir the mixture into the dry ingredients.

Shape the dough into a long, flattened log and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes; remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Slice the log crosswise on an angle into 1-inch--thick pieces. Set the slices on their sides (they should look like biscotti) and bake until crisp, 10 to 12 minutes more. Transfer to a rack to cool.

Melt the carob in a microwave or on the stovetop over low heat. Thin the melted carob with 1 tablespoon water, if needed. Using a spoon, drizzle the melted carob over the biscuits. Let cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
sorry about the double reply, I got on the phone with my friend and her mother-in-law just passed away last night and I didn't remember if I had sent already, so I sent again.
Petra, thanks so much for this recipe. I love baking for my dogs and gotta try this one. Since I live alone and hate to cook or bake for myself, I get alot of satisfaction baking for my 6 little ones. They really show their appreciation. LOL
Thanks, Tony will get homemade treats this weekend. And if I make extra, my bosses dogs are Tony's friends so they will get treats as well! Thanks for a great reciepe.
I bought a tube of Natural Balance and Tony loves it. I also bought a bag of dry Natural Balance that has salmon in it and all the other good things. He loves the tube food, but not real big on the dry? Has anyone else tried this dog food and is this close to the raw food? I would like to change him over to all natural food slowly, but the "Raw" is rather expensive. Any suggestions.
Barb,
Natural Balance is a premium food and very good. I have fed both the tubes and dry to my dogs in the past. The tubes would be a good alternative to dry kibble. You might try that while transitioning to raw (if you want). If you decide not to do raw, Natural Balance is fine to feed as being a very good food.
thanks for the input, i appreciate it.
We feed raw to one of our dogs and he has done extremely well on it. It takes a little more effort on my part, but the results make it well worth it.
We give our dog a raw diet too. It's actually dehydrated raw food, so we add water and let it absorb for 15 minutes then she eats. you can read all the ingredients on the packaging too which is a relief! Turkey, spinach, cranberries, etc

She seems to love it, but then she'd eat anything if you let her ;)
Hello Steph,

I've been feeding raw for about 12 years now. When I started it was something you kept in the closet. I was blacklisted as a bad owner. I had one vet tell me I would kill my dogs. Goes to show you how much they know. It was the best thing I ever did and am so glad I stuck to my guns in spite of constant criticism. It is far more accepted now.
i find these posts and replies great. Excellent information on raw feeding, however I do have a question. We humans cook food, like supermarket steaks, both for taste and for health reasons, the idea being that we would get infected by bacteria from these steaks if eaten raw. How have your dogs handled these bacteria? I do not see any reason to think that they can stand infections better than us. Is meat from the supermarket and butchers more healthy than one would expect then?
Hi Jorge,
From what I understand, a dogs intestinal tract is much shorter than a humans and food travels through theirs much faster which prevents bacteria from forming. The meat my supplier uses is all organic. If you would like to read up on the raw I feed my dogs you can see it at www.PetsByNature.com I can't tell you how glad i was to be feeding raw when all these pet food recalls started happening. Whew!

RSS

The Inspiration

EverPup

EverPup: What James has bee

Dr Jones Ultimate Canine Health Formula

Dog Books from Maui Media

Subscribe to our Blog

Badge

Loading…

Published by

Maui Media, LLC

© 2010 Maui Media, LLC