Dear Friends,

Oliver, my beloved 14+ year-old mini-poodle, is gone.

When I came home at lunchtime Monday to make sure he'd eaten his morning meal and take him for a walk, he hadn't eaten. In fact, he had brought up both his last meal, and some thick white liquid. Since he'd been doing so about every week to 10 days, I cleaned up, and tried to get him to go on a short walk. He wouldn't go past our front door -- planting his paws and refusing to be moved. It was nearly 90 degrees out -- so I didn't press the matter. I unhooked the leash from his collar, headed him back into the living room, and told him I'd be back after work. He stood near the door, with what I hoped was his usual little smile, and watched me leave.

When I returned, Ollie didn't come to the door -- and I realized I didn't see him anywhere. The food in his bowl hadn't been touched. I called him repeatedly, with no response. After a brief eternity, I found Ollie camped under an end-table in the far corner of the living room -- he didn't respond to my call or my touch, and was barely breathing. Looking around, I saw that he had vomited several more times since I'd left for the office. I lifted him up and raced to the car -- then to the emergency animal hospital 10 miles away. The staff rushed him into treatment; even while I was still completing the paperwork, he went into cardiac arrest. They were able to revive him, but after 3 or more hours of treatment, they called to say that he was going downhill, and had been bringing up blood. My husband and I made it back to the hospital as quickly as we could -- but there was nothing more that could be done. Oliver was euthanized at about 11 PM. Before the vet put him under, I begged him to forgive me -- and to wait for me beyond the rainbow bridge.

I am distraught -- and guilt-ridden. If only I'd taken him to the vet at 2:15, when he first threw up -- he was conscious and breathing well. Perhaps the vets could have saved him. As it is, they can't find the cause -- my baby has been taken from me, and I don't even know why.

It's more than I can bear. He was counting on me -- and I let him down....

Views: 52

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Susan,

How are you doing? How is Moose and "Funny Face"? I always like to checkup on my friends on this site. Take Care
We're all doing pretty well, thanks. Moose has developed enough self-confidence so that he's getting to be disobedient, at times -- when it could be dangerous. After my current community theatre production ends, I think we'll be attending obedience school together.

Funny Face is a daily visitor to our home. I even coaxed her into our living room, a week or two ago, but when I closed the door, she began to cry, sat down by the front door and demanded to go out. So we've made a bed for her in our garage. It's not as warm, but there's a fleece blanket to curl up in. We'll still have to take her to be checked by the vet, before we can take her in "for real."

Be well.

RSS

The Inspiration

EverPup

EverPup: What James has bee

Dr Jones Ultimate Canine Health Formula

Dog Books from Maui Media

Subscribe to our Blog

Badge

Loading…

Published by

Maui Media, LLC